Monday, May 2, 2011

Critique of Photography


For this entry, I will be critiquing two of my photographs.  I have a specific rubric I will be using. 

1. Describe the objects in the image
2. Analyze the technical, design, and perceptual functions.
3. Interpret the meaning of the image
4. Value the image.  

1. Describe the objects in the image.

This image does not have specific, identifiable objects.  Instead, we see a wide range of colors, from dark orange to blue.  The colors give the appearance of being in motion. 

2. Analyze the technical, design, and perceptual functions.

The technical aspects of the photograph are successful.  The lighting is well-done, and there is a wide variety of vibrant colors.  The composition is successful with the different colors and the spacing between each of the colors.

The design aspect is also successful.  The colors and motion are arranged in a way that does not disturb the viewer. 

The perceptual aspects are also successful.  My hope was to create a photograph that would be perceived as a painting.  I think that I have achieved that.

3. Interpret the meaning of image. 

There is an excitement in the photo.  Something out of the ordinary has happened, and there is a beauty and excitement.  There is also a sense of freedom and not being held down by the normal ideas of photography.

4. Value the image.

I think that the image is successful technically and visually pleasing.  I feel that I was successful with this image.  However, I am sure that I am probably a little biased. 

1. Describe the image.

A colorful array of reds and purples.  You can see the outline of a butterfly in the upper right corner. 

2. Analyze the technical, design, and perceptual functions.

This image is very complicated.  There is a variety of colors and there is a bright hot spot in the corner.  Overall this image is somewhat disturbing.  I think that the image could be successful depending on the viewer.

3. Interpret the meaning of image. 

There is a sense of confusion about the image, but at the same time there is a sense of beauty.  The colors swirl around the image. 

4. Value the image.

I think that the image is successful as a communication of confusion and beauty.  However, there are certain details that make me unsure of the success of the image.  I think that I should try to eliminate the hot spot in the corner and see how the image turns out. 

2 comments:

  1. Anna regarding your second image...I don't think I would eliminate the hot spot. Viewing the overall image as moving from darkness to light I think the hot spot is needed. Especially with the presence of the butterfly in the image. I can imagine the butterfly being drawn to the light and having left the darkness of the lower left creating a sense of movement and clarity (the image becoming more clear in the light, etc). I like it as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rich on the second image. I think you need that hot spot in the corner to bring the image to life and capture the overall affect for the picture. It's beautiful just the way it is.
    Aunt Londa

    ReplyDelete